The social scene is no longer here like it was before. Bars have closed, restaurants are going out of business and most have been ordered to shut down outdoor dining. What else can we do?
Well, thank God some of our grocery stores are still open! To help you ease the pain during this lockdown, try this ultimate late-winter warmer Hot Toddy provided by mixologist Duggan McDonnell. This will certainly cure all your seasonal blues providing you with a sense of well-being.
GINGER-TURMERIC HONEY SYRUP
16-oz. local raw honey
1/4 lb. fresh ginger
3 tsp. chopped fresh turmeric
Dash Himalayan Pink Salt
HOT TODDY COCKTAIL
1 1/2oz. Scotch
3/4oz. Ginger-Turmeric Honey Syrup
4 1/2oz. hot water
2 slices Meyer Lemon
1 large slice fresh ginger
1. Pour the honey into a medium saucepan (use hot water as needed to help it flow).
2. Add 16oz. of hot water to the pan.
3. Peel, then dice ginger before placing it into a food processor; grind briefly. Add ground ginger to pan and
heat on low heat. Stir thoroughly for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 1 hour.
4. Pour the mixture into a Vitamix and flash blend for 15 seconds.
5. Strain thoroughly
6. Pour hot toddy ingredients into a glass, stir, and enjoy
RECIPE BY DUGGAN MCDONNELL, AUTHOR OF DRINKING THE DEVILS ACRE: A LOVE LETTER FROM SAN FRANCISO AND HER COCKTAILS.