I received a text message from one of my best friends asking me “what kind of color should she use at home to cover up her grays”.
The conversation went like this:
Her: Helllllllo! I need your HELP. My roots are gray what color & brand do you recommend from the hair store for me to color my hair? (Sends Image)
Me: Ohhhhh, ok. You wanna do it yourself? That’s gonna be kinda tricky cause you have blond on the ends.
Her: I only want to color my roots
Okay. I’m stopping the conversation here because when coloring hair at home there are a few things you need to know.
THE DO’S AND DON’TS WHEN COLORING YOUR HAIR AT HOME.
- DO DEEP CONDITION. Deep-condition your hair two to three weeks before putting in color so that it’s prepared and strong.
- READ EVERYTHING. Read all the instructions on the bottle before applying.
- USE AMMONIA FREE. Ammonia free colors are great to have at home (especially if you have kids) so you don’t inhale the aromas.
- DO A PATCH TEST FIRST. Do a patch test on your skin to determine if you are allergic to the chemicals. Some people are allergic to peroxide that will cause you to break out in hives, swell up or itch.
- APPLY A CREAM BASE OR PETROLEUM JELLY. Apply petroleum jelly around the hairline and ears to protect skin from staining.
- USE AND DISCARD. Used the hair color immediately after it has been mixed and throw away any unused portions.
- COLOR DAMAGED HAIR. If it’s damaged don’t apply any color. The hair is weak and it will result into you having fewer hair strands and breakage.
- COLOR HAIR IF IT’S BEEN RELAXED. Professionals can use determine what color can be used but when coloring hair at home, it’s best to wait two weeks after hair has been relaxed.
- USE ON AN IRRITATED SCALP. Not good.
- USE ON EYEBROWS OR EYELASHES. You don’t want to go blind.
- USE IF HAIR HAS BEEN COLORED WITH HENNA OR SEMI-PERMANENT COLORS. Wait until the hair grows out or you have the previously colored part cut off.
- APPLY PERMANENT COLOR ALL OVER. Start with the roots first. Wait. Then apply towards the ends and rinse.
BRANDS RECOMMENDED FOR AT HOME USAGE
- CLAIROL TEXTURES AND TONES
- OPTIMUM CARE MOISTURE RICH PERMANENT HAIR COLOR
- CREME OF NATURE
- DARK & LOVELY REVIVING COLORS
Hair Tip 101
- Deep condition hair once a week with a moisturizing conditioner
- Use a good leave in conditioner after every shampoo.
CONDITIONERS THAT ACTUALLY WORK EXTREMELY WELL!
- Hydrofuse Intensive Moisturizer Treatment by Mizani
- Avlon KeraCare Leave In Conditioner