A little attention can go a long way. Learn how to pick the right avocado(s), keep it fresh, and take control on the ripening process.
PICK THE RIGHT ONE.
A few moments in the store will ensure that your avocados are ready to eat whenever you are.
1. Firmness. When testing for ripeness, gently squeeze the avocado in the palm of your hand. If the avocado yields to a little pressure, then it’s fiesta time!
2. Color. Some rely on the darkening color of the fruit as a cue of ripeness. But don’t be fooled. f the avocado is dark and still firm, then it’s not ripe or ready to eat.
KEEP IT FRESH.
Saving some for later? Here are three quick ways to make it last.
1. Olive Oil. Lightly brushing olive oil onto the flesh of the fruit can help prevent oxidation- keeping your avocado halves delicious.
2. Lemon Juice. Squeezing a little lemon juice onto the flesh of the avocado will keep it fresh longer.
3. Tight Seal. Tightly cover the avocado half with clear plastic wrap. Press the wrap directly onto the flesh to limit the amount of surface area exposed to the air.
GET YOUR AVOCADO “JUST RIPE.”
1.Put the avocado in a paper bag with a banana or an apple to speed up the ripening process.
2. Refrigeration can slow down the ripening process. If the avocado hasn’t been opened, it can chill out in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Source: Bon appétit